RSS feeds in the directory: 2818
Added today: 0
Added yesterday: 0
1) bird's eye view I already have Cairo, Iraq, Ho Chi Minh city, now to this list will be added to Vyborg. The city has the only castle which is a monument of Western European medieval military architecture, and only in Russia it is a medieval street.
2) Vyborg castle (aka fin. Viipurin linna and Swede. Wiborgs slott) was built on a small island (170 x 122 m) in the Gulf of Finland by the Swedes in 1293 during the Third crusade on the Karelian land. By decision of the Regent of the Swedish king Torgils Knutsson, on Castle island was built a powerful castle, called Vyborg. The Swedes surrounded the elevated part of the island wall, and in the centre stands a stone tower, square in plan. High observation and military tower was named in honor of the Norwegian king, the Baptist of Scandinavia Olav the Holy. This tower has long been considered the highest donjon (a kind of fortress inside the fortress) of Scandinavia. The thickness of walls was 1.5—2 meters, and the thickness of the walls of the tower is 4 m. the Top walls finished with battlements, and on the perimeter was mounted to a wooden gallery, battle move. Vyborg castle became the center of Vyborg Lena, a reliable Outpost of the spread of the Swedish influence on the land of the Karelian isthmus, remaining inaccessible until 1710.
3) In the years 1442-1448 Viceroy Karl Knutsson Bonde, as reported chronicle of that time, "spent a lot of money for the construction of a fortress... created the most beautiful chambers, covered them with a roof, has forced to build around wall with teeth, a more beautiful castle cannot be found...". Around the perimeter of the island was erected a defensive wall that formed the so-called "lower courtyard" of the castle. The old castle gradually turned into a rear position of the fortress.
4) a New phase of major construction works began after in 1556 the castle was visited by the Swedish king Gustav Vasa. Towers and buildings were rebuilt again. The coastline is further strengthened by the wooden quarterdeck and bulwarks. In 1564, the main tower is built up to 7 floors, the upper end has an octagonal shape with three-meter walls cut through the cannon embrasures, allowing them to conduct a circular firing. In the masonry of the donjon was first used brick. The appearance that the tower received during this period, largely preserved to the present day.
5) At the end of XVI — early XVII century undergoes a thorough restructuring to be a bridgehead of the castle. First, instead of wooden scancem and temporary Bastion built stone ramparts, and then all the bridge structures are combined in the house of the Governor — the most luxurious and secure building in Vyborg. On the island dug a few ponds, one of which; the architect wewel constructed fountain. In the second half of the seventeenth century along the external North-West wall, stone barracks were built.
6) June 13, 1710, after more than two months of siege and bombardment, the city was taken by the troops of Peter I and the last Swedish commandant of the city Colonel Magnus Sinstral surrendered to the mercy of the winner. The victim considerable damage to the castle is intensively repaired, but after the construction in the late sixteenth century Horned Annenskij fortresses and fortifications in the second half of the eighteenth century, securely covered city from Sweden, the military significance of the castle was rapidly waning, and it was used to house the garrison.
In the barracks is the prison where, in particular, contained the imprisoned Decembrists P. A. Mukhanov, I. A. Annenkov, M. F. Mitkov, M. S. Lunin.
8) the height of the tower with a dome of almost 49 meters, from the viewing platform views to a distance of 30 km.
10) to the Left on the opposite side of the shore - the building of the Vyborg district archive 1932-1933 buildings architect W. Ulberg. A cube-shaped, modern forms of the original structure with vertical light apertures, contrast associated with the ancient castle behind the narrow Strait, has become an important element of the marine panorama of Vyborg. The archives building is designed in the spirit of functionalism with some neoclassical elements. To fully carry out the necessary functions of document storage architect provided a variety of design features such as special ventilation and heating, glass partitions steel frame, floor rubber coating, metal door and window frames with reinforced glass. Functionally the building is divided into two parts. The first part of the archive premises (5 floors); the second part is a boiler room, storage for fuel, Laundry, kitchen, photo lab, lobby, storefronts, stationery, bookbinding, office, reading room, library and flats of the staff. As a result of the "winter war 1939-1940" and the great Patriotic war a considerable part of the archive were transported to Finland and Petrozavodsk.
11) That's a beauty.
12) One of the few, if not only Russian medieval street.
Port: walk to the ocean 18.03.2016 at 23:28
Vyborg Russia (part 3) 18.03.2016 at 22:24
Walk around Istanbul 18.03.2016 at 21:21
Saminsky Pogost 18.03.2016 at 18:12
Holland. The windmills of Kinderdijk 18.03.2016 at 15:01
Evening Honfleur 18.03.2016 at 12:50
The New 17.03.2016 at 11:31
Pilgrim Porto: the middle Ages 17.03.2016 at 09:26
Route of the day. Bayou 17.03.2016 at 05:11
Holy assumption nunnery in Staraya Ladoga. 16.03.2016 at 23:21